Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I tried a "weird" beauty product.

It was only a few posts ago that I was ranting and raving about ridiculous and gross beauty treatments, and here I am about to tell you how I used something that sounds pretty weird and maybe a little gross. The irony is not lost on me.

I was in the drug store a few days ago desperately looking for some kind of treatment for my frizzy, dried-out locks. I'm way overdue for a haircut and my ends start to get tangly and frazzled after a while. I'm very particular about what I use in my hair – I follow a modified curly girl method, which basically means that I don't use any products with sulfates or silicones in them. I also try to stick to organic-based products when I can. Because of this, looking for a new conditioner can be hard since silicones are a major component of most conditioning products.

Finally I picked up a packet of Hask Henna Placenta Hair Treatment. I was under $2 and had no silicones, so I figured why not?



I know what you're probably thinking. Placenta? In your hair? Gross! I thought that too, but my hair was feeling desperate. I couldn't run my fingers through it without painful tangles and the damage from constantly pulling it up to fight summer heat was getting bad.

And once I got passed the "ick" factor, I was blown away! The package recommends that you leave the treatment in for at least ten minutes and heat it with a blow dryer or wrap your head with a hot towel. I used a blow dryer before rinsing the conditioner out and letting my hair air-dry. My hair dried soft, frizz-free and with no tangles! I was made a believer.

BUT! Today I did a little Googling and found that the use of placenta in hair products has been linked to breast cancer or premature development in young girls. This site lists it as one of their top ten products to avoid. So now I'm torn. I think I'll consider using the Hask conditioner as a once-in-a-while treatment when my hair is in dire straits and stick to more conventional products for more regular hair care.

The things we do for great hair...

2 comments:

  1. Why don't you ask the Beauty Brains for a recommendation in this area? It's hard to give up a product that works and you know very well that there's a lot of scares and misinformation out there. I mean...cell phones give us all brain cancer, right?

    ReplyDelete