Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Trends: the bad and the ugly

Ah, trends.  The terror of the fashion-phobic, the delight of fashion editors and advertisers looking for new reasons to tell you to throw away all your clothes and buy new ones.  I think it's important to be choosy with trends – to find what's appropriate for your own age, shape, budget, and style instead of trying to follow everything.  I love stores like Forever 21 for trendy accessories and accent pieces because their prices are low, so you can experiment without breaking the bank. 

Sometimes it's tough to choose between picking up on a trend and skipping it.  But sometimes?  Sometimes it's really really easy.  Take, for instance, this list of the year's worst fashion trends. 

Sandal booties?  This might actually be worse than socks with sandals being considered stylish.  What's the point of these things?  It's like wearing socks in the heat of summer but without any of the actual benefits – your feet are still uncushioned and exposed to the elements.  Isn't the whole idea of sandals to expose feet?  I know that fashion is supposed to be innovative and sometimes subversive, but I don't get this new push toward taking shoes designed to be open and making them stuffy and sweaty. 

Also?  They're ugly.  There's no way strap-on cankles are flattering.  And don't even get me started on the pointlessness that is open-toed boots.

The list also includes ill-advised items like harem pants, jumpsuits, and clogs – the kind of things that sometimes work on models in magazines, but almost never work on real people. 

Where I live a lot of teenage girls fall into one of two groups:  the girls who wear barely-decent miniskirts with Ugg boots (ugg is right) in the summer or (for some reason) with flip flops in the winter, or the girls who wear sweats or pajama pants and hoodies everywhere with their hair sloppily pulled up in a bun but with a full, perfect face of makeup.  I'm sure the fact that neither of these looks make any sense to me means I've officially become old, but I find myself wanting to shake these girls and shout at them about frostbite and/or the merits of a comb. 

Then I remember that I once wore nouveau-hippie trapeze dresses, neon, and acid-wash jeans (why are those back in style?!) tucked into my socks.  Youth is made for bad decisions and fashion is no exception.  But as an adult, I'm more confident about developing my own style and choosing which trends I want to follow. 

With that in mind, Refinery 29 has compiled a list of fall trends worth skipping. 

3 comments:

  1. "Strap on cankles" LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They remind me of when I was a little girl, and my tights would bunch up at my ankles. My mom called them "elephant legs."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you - those sandal/boots are just plain fugly.

    And I like Forever 21, too!! Even at my age, I still like to buy youthful clothes. This store is a nice way to try new trends each season without spending a lot.

    ReplyDelete