Tuesday, June 29, 2010

New dumb trend: socks with sandals.

One of my favorite things about summer is the fact that I can pack away all my socks until it gets cold again in favor of bright pedicures and sandals. Well, bad news for me, because apparently socks with sandals is now a trend.

I ask you, does this look cute?
Image courtesy of NYMag.com

That's actually not the worst example they've got – you should really check out the slideshow. This look was all over the spring runways, too.

I don't get this. Isn't the point of sandals and open-toe shoes to be... open? Isn't that why they exist in the first place? So we can enjoy one less layer of fabric in a hot season? I don't know what the weather is like where you are, but here in New England it's hot and sticky. The less unnecessary fabric I can get away with, the better. Even worse, all the socks in the New York Magazine slideshow look like they're mostly nylon – can you think of a sweatier, less desirable fabric to wrap around your feet in the heat of summer?

Sorry fashion world, I'll be sitting this one out. I'd rather flaunt my brightly-polished toes in your disapproving faces than deal with sweaty, hot, smelly feet. Also, I'm not really interested in taking fashion tips from this guy:

Image courtesy of Top10Kid.com

2 comments:

  1. Completely agree. While I can understand the added color concept, I think this is definitely a case where "less is more" reign supreme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. I much prefer adding color with a nice bright pedicure!

    ReplyDelete