Saturday, June 5, 2010

Quickie: Keep a Style File

A while back I was lucky enough to attend a fashion show hosted by Liz Claiborne's Creative Director and my personal idol, Tim Gunn. Those attending the event were given a free gift – a black accordion folder made of heavy, coated board labeled a "style file." The idea is that when you see a look you like in a magazine, or something you like in a catalog, you tear out the page and drop it in your style file. That way you don't wind up buried under old magazines you're keeping just for one article, and you can easily access all the ideas and inspirations you've kept when you want to update your look.

Any accordion folder will do for your own style file. Or even a binder with internal folders – anything that will allow you to keep things neatly organized. I have mine separated into these categories: fashion, beauty, social, accessories, hair, miscellaneous. I keep pictures of outfits I like, advertisements for products I want to try, makeup tutorials, trend reports, and anything else that catches my eye. That way when I want to refer back to something I have it easily at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment